Rudder play

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

mat

Rudder play

Inlägg av mat »

Hello,

Should there be any play in the rudder on an International Folkboat? I can feel some play in the tiller. Also when I lash the tiller to stop it moving I can hear the rudder clunking. It's particularly noticeable in the cabin.

I'm just wondering whether I need to take a look at the rudder pintles. I think they were replaced in 2010, just before I bought the boat.

How much play is there in your IF's rudder?

Many thanks,
Mat.
IF boat 'Sonmi' / Sail no.3215 / River Hamble, UK
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Rudder play

Inlägg av maja »

There is no detectable play in my rudder as far as the pintle O-rings are intact.

So, probably one or more of the O-rings on the rudder pintles have been worn to damage and are missing.

You have to lift off the rudder from the gudgeons and repalce the O-rings.

This actions should be done regulailry.

Personally, I lift off my rudder before every sailing season and repalce the O-rings as a preventive maintanence.

Ask for help from another person when lifting. Otherwise it is a great risk for the rudder to slip away from your hands and be seriously damaged.

On the attachements you may see how the O-ring is mounted on the pintle and how the "rudder stop peace" is mounded to the rudder under the pintle. Those "rudder stop peaces" are normally fixed to the rudder by a scew and have to be removed before lifting the ruddder.
O-ring.jpg
O-ring.jpg (21.61 KiB) Visad 6855 gånger
Bilagor
IMG_3859.JPG
IMG_3859.JPG (76.66 KiB) Visad 6850 gånger
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
mat

Inlägg av mat »

Thanks Maja for that extremely useful information.

I'm looking to have the boat lifted out in the spring, so will definitely remove the rudder and sort the issue. Are these o-rings available to order, or will I need to get them machined? Also are they bronze?

Thanks again.

Mat.
IF boat 'Sonmi' / Sail no.3215 / River Hamble, UK
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

These O-rings are simple ones from rubber. Sealing rings of a 1/2 inch hose garden watering hose system will do.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar