Hove-To in a Folkboat.

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Claro

Hove-To in a Folkboat.

Inlägg av Claro »

G'day Folks,

I'm new to this fantastic forum. We recently purchased a M26 from Sydney and sailed it down the east coast of Australia to our home port in the beautiful Gippsland Lakes in Victoria. The trip was approx 400 miles which we completed in 3 seperate sessions (Brooklyn to Jervis Bay 24hours; Jervis Bay to Eden 30hours; Eden to Lakes Entrance 30 hours).

Anyway, we sat out a few expected blows in sheltered anchorages and sailed in mostly favourable weather. We're now planning on doing lots of cruising along Victorian coastline and Tasmania which obviously involves the infamous Bass Strait. We sail conservatively and safely within forecasted weather windows but I'm aware we'll eventually get caught out in a significant, unexpected blow. I'd done a lot of research on Folkboats before deciding it was the right boat (small, affordable and seaworthy) and all reports seemed to say that the full keel and narrow beam was ideal for lying hove-to safely.

I'd really love to hear some details from people about Folkboats lying hove-to (heave-to) in heavy weather situations. Have you had to do this? Do you know details from anyone else who had to do this in a Folkboat? What were the conditions like (wind and sea) and how did the boat handle? What sail configurations / trimming did you use while hove-to and would you try something different next time?

Does anyone have experience in a folkboat with other heavy weather techniques they can share. Hopefully we'll never need them but preparation is always helpful.

I'm sure i'll have plenty of other questions coming up as I upgrade our boat.

Cheers folks, :D

Matt
yogiysh

Inlägg av yogiysh »

Hi Matt,

Check out the following blog about a 14,000 mile trip from England to Australia in a Stella folkboat.

http://14000milesacrosstheocean.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Ysmael
Claro

Stella Mira

Inlägg av Claro »

Hey Ysmael,

Cheers for the link! I've been reading through the letters and stories. Some great reading. They certainly came up against some challenging conditions during the trip.

I'm guessing you've already seen the website of ARIEL folkboat that took place in the ARC. Here's the link for anyone who has not seen it.

http://blog.mailasail.com/yacht_ariel

Has anyone got any other good websites about Folkboats cruising stories.

Cheers

Matt
Claro

Heave to

Inlägg av Claro »

I've been trying a few Heave-to options in my M26 in moderate winds on the Lakes. In about 15-18 knots I find it best to have 1 reef (2 also works very well) in my main and furl my Jib to about 90%. The boat will jog along nicely on her own without lashing the tiller and move at about 2-3 knots. I am always surprised that I still move at this speed, yet there is almost no heel and everything is gentle. I've checked the speed with both GPS and Bidata and both say 2-3 knots in these conditions ( there is no current either?).

Does anyone else find they move this fast in Moderate winds while heave to. Not sure if i'm missing something and should be going slower??

Cheers

Matt :?:
Skriv svar