IF transom thickness

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

kjacobsen

IF transom thickness

Inlägg av kjacobsen »

What is the thickness of an IF boat transom? I am making the backing plate for an outboard bracket and need to calculate the total thickness.

Thanks

K.C. Jacobsen
Charleston South Carolina, USA
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: IF transom thickness

Inlägg av maja »

According to drawings an estimate could be that it is about 5-6.5 mm thick. (about 0.2 - 0.25 inches)

See drawing 1460, which will be found here:
http://www.ifboat.com/assets/files/klas ... ningar.pdf

Here you may see the glass fibre lamination and reinforcements of deck and hull. 450 g of glass fibre approximately corresponds to 1 mm of hull or deck thickness. So the deck (outside reinforcements) is approximately 5 mm thick and the lower hull approximately 6.4 mm thick But this is not very accurate figures.

When you look inside the lazarette, you may see that the transom have no reinforcements. So if you will carry a heavy outboard on the transom, it is wise to attach from inside an extra large reinforcement of approx. 0.25 inch plywood, about a square foot wide.

For what purpose do you need this? .. Screw length..??..
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
kjacobsen

Re: IF transom thickness

Inlägg av kjacobsen »

Marek:
Thank you for the information.
I am moving my outboard motor (6HP Tohatsu 4 Stroke) from the well to the transom using a stainless steel bracket and angle adapter. It will be mounted using 4 stainless steel 8 mm dia bolts. I am making a backing plate of 25mm plywood for the inside of the transom. I plan to run remote controls, because the distance from the motor to a seating position in the cockpit makes the engine mounted controls difficult to reach. The remote control will be in the starboard aft cockpit locker. The control cables will run from the motor through a Vetus clamshell vent already mounted on the after deck.
Skriv svar