Common rudder fracture - left to corrode

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

skiziks33

Re: Common rudder fracture - left to corrode

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

After using a epoxy primer on the porous steel, can I create a flat/smooth surface for the cloth using filler first on the steel to fill in an crevices? Or should I cut layers of cloth to build up an even shape of the steel? Can apply wetted cloth directly to the primed steel?
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Glass fibre structure in the very central part of the ruddder contributes very little to the bending strength. So my oplinion is that you may certainly smoothen the steel plate surface with some thin layer of epoxi filler.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
skiziks33

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

Hi all.
A Rudder update

I decided to have a new rudder built using a mold of the old. To order and transport a new Marieholm rudder from Sweden would have been expensive and unnecessarily complicated. The corrosion of the original is too extensive to bother with a repair. Thank you for all your advice though. If the structural integrity of the original steel wasn't compromised, than a repair would have been possible, but it is too risky the way things are.

The builder is using an aluminium alloy for the internal framework, rather than the steel used originally. The frame will be molded in solid fiberglass, rather than using the foam of the original.

Should be much stronger and possibly lighter

Any thoughts? Generally. These are the materials used by modern rudder/boat builders.

I will post an image when it's completed.
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

That seems like a good idea.

Maybe it will not be lighter. Instead of steel there will be aluminium, that will be lighter. Instead of foam there will be GRP, that will be heavier I think. The weight shouldn't be that important, but the strength is.

I think you will be happy with the new rudder. Keep us informed, and please show some pictures if you can.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
skiziks33

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

frankly
for trading weights you've suggesting, I'm hoping for a similar weight to the original

Can the gudgeons and pintles be found somewhere new?
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
skiziks33

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

Thanks for all your help and advice folks, in repairing the old and designing the new. The old was filled and faired to it's pre-break form. Then it was used to make a fiberglass mold. The new rudder was laid up using this mold and a sheet of 1/4 inch aluminum alloy was cut to for the inner blade. FInally the rudder was faired, barrier coated and painted using interlux/international Micron CSC and brightside paint. Turns out to be a bit lighter than the original, and should be stronger. New pintles and bolts were order from Goran in Sweden
rudder.jpg
rudder.jpg (146.71 KiB) Visad 10897 gånger
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

That is well done!

You can now even offer to make new rudders in you area.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Skriv svar