Windvane steering

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

pbesley

Windvane steering

Inlägg av pbesley »

Anyone fitted windvane steering to their IF? What brand, and did it require any special adjusting to fit the IF transom? I notice the Scanmar Monitor has been used on a Contessa 26 which is a Folkboat derivative with a similar raking transom and would be likely to fit, but these units cost a fortune.

Pete
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

Yoy may check the Autopilot thread in this forum for a description of a simple and xx windvane steering arrangement.

Sorry, I don't know anything about commercial windvane steering hardware.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Tay Bosley

Windvane

Inlägg av Tay Bosley »

I installed a Monitor Windvane.
Pros: Works great (most important factor). Very well designed. Can use as emergency boarding ladder. Super solid. Great folks to buy from.
Cons: Expensive. Heavy. Complicated installation.
Tay Bosley IF 946 Spirit of Adventure
Spirit of Adventure IF-946
Berthed in Raritan Bay, New Jersey
gottord
Kontakt:

Re: Windvane steering

Inlägg av gottord »

I have also installed a Monitor Windvane on my 1970 IF Boat #377 "Storm Petrel". I ordered the newer version mounting tubes straight from Monitor...and the installation wasn't too difficult with another person helping. The Monitor steers my boat superbly...I would also say that it is heavier than a Navik or maybe even a Fleming...but I have never heard of a Monitor failing....where as I have heard a few stories about the latter Windvanes...

Bild

I will post some more detailed pics on my Blog @ http://www.myfolkboat.com

Hope this helps....
...The Peoples Boat...
Tay Bosley

Inlägg av Tay Bosley »

Gotord,
The back of your boat looks very much like mine. Do you have any trouble with the outboard mounted on the back? I kept it in the lazarette well (not the best place) because I was afraid that it would conflict with the widnvane if it were on the back.
And, yes, the Monitor steers the boat very well.
Tay Bosley IF 946 Spirit of Adventure
Spirit of Adventure IF-946
Berthed in Raritan Bay, New Jersey
gottord
Kontakt:

Inlägg av gottord »

Hi Tay...
I don't have any problems with the outboard mount being on the transom...aside from the fact that it is a little ugly....but I am hoping to craft up a more subtle bracket for the transom that would allow for the actual bracket to be removed when not in use. Any pics of your boat? Would love to see it....Talk with you soon...

Adam
...The Peoples Boat...
Skriv svar