Correct Orientation of M26 /IFboat Chainplate

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Regatta
Kontakt:

Correct Orientation of M26 /IFboat Chainplate

Inlägg av Regatta »

Hello,
This is a technical question for the experts... I would like to get information about the correct orientation of the M26/IFBoat high and low shrouds chainplates!
I saw in the forum the Danish chainplate for low shrouds project ..i did the same orientation but at the end of the season i notice a bend in the shroud where it enter the pressed terminal ... Seems for me the chainplate orientation work better if is in a line "bow-stern" orientation as red line in the picture I attached.
Any advise or opinion or explanation of correct orientation for both chainplates and why? ? I got no info on internet about this question.
Thanks to everybody could help.
Gab
Bilagor
danish.jpg
danish.jpg (61.26 KiB) Visad 7115 gånger
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Correct Orientation of M26 /IFboat Chainplate

Inlägg av maja »

The "Danish" chainplates for the lower shrouds shall be mounted according to the instruction.

If the lower shroud is been bent near the terminal (attached to the turnbuckle), this has probably happened due to the shroud being stuck and bent during the stepping or taking off the mast procedure. Be careful not to attach and tighten the lower shroud until the mast is fixed in right position by the forstay and upper shrouds. In the same way, be careful to loosen the lower shrouds and dismount them from the turbuckle (or dismount the turbuckle from the chainplate) before you start with taking off the mast from the boat.

However, any bending problems may be solved by inserting a toggle between the chainplate and the turnbuckle. If so, maybe the shroud has to be shortened a bit if it becomes too long.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Regatta
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Regatta »

Hello Maja and always thank you for your answers.. About my bended shroud is due probably for the no perfect alignment of the base of chainplate that is not in line with center of the mast as show in the picture.. but when I tried to move the lower shroud toggle and the turnbuckle free of tension of it seem it work better if the orientation of the chainplate is bow/stern!
My other question: which is the correct alignment of the upper shroud chainplate?? Nobody talk about it.. Those question are because I would like to change them (after 30 years ofservice...) and I need some photos / explanation etc. etc..
Thanks in advance!!!
Gab
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

The lower shrouds are pointing towards a point just underneath the spreaders, situated about the middle of the mast spar surface. The connection between the turnbuckle and the chainplate should be moment free in the plane between cainplate and connection to the mast spar.

For the chainplates of the "Danish" type, this is acheaved by mounting the chainplate with the cam pointing in the same direction, i.e towards the middle of the mast fitting.

The upper shrouds are not suffering from bending, so the direction has less importance.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar