broken mast

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

otter

broken mast

Inlägg av otter »

I have broken the mast on my boat and am trying to put one together from a similar extrusion.I am using the class rules as a guide line. I plant to make an aluminum thru bar for the spreader attatchment. Does anybody know the angle of rise from thw horizontal that the spreaders make, and what the sweep angle aft is? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated such as lines led aft arrangements. Thanks - otter
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: broken mast

Inlägg av maja »

The angle of rise from horisontal is the one which will divide the angle of the upper shuoud into two equal parts.
The spreader angle is the one that will follow from about the centre point of the mast fiting and the upper shroud fitting at the rail. If tou draw (or imagine) a strailgt line between the spreader ends, the distance from this line to the back side of the mast spar should be approximately 28 centimetres.

For reference, see North Sails Trimming Guide 2001 (in English), page 2, Spreader Sweep http://www.ifboat.com/trimguider/north/ ... tg_eng.pdf and the Class Rule drawings http://www.ifboat.com/teknik/IFREGRIT.HTM
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
otter

Inlägg av otter »

Thank you very much maja. I have reviewed the drawings and made sense of them. Is an aluminum thru bar an acceptable method of attatchment?
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

otter skrev:Is an aluminum thru bar an acceptable method of attatchment?
I cannot follow your intention. I recommend to re-use the spreaders and their fittings from the broken mast.

Please also be informed that the spar of a mast for a J24 will be perfect for an IF-boat, but the J24 mast itself may be a foot or so too short... :x .
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
otter

Inlägg av otter »

Thanks again maja. All excelent information.
Respect to all aspect, otter
Johannes

Inlägg av Johannes »

Hi everybody, so it happened that I broke my mast bar today while racing under thunderstorm. I wonder what would be the chances to get another one second hand or buying brand new one, though the latter sounds unrealistic, given the dates of IF production. Any tips towards the solution are most appreciated and welcome. I am based in Tallinn, hence I look forward for any back up from either Sweden or Finland. There are two IF-s only in Estonia and I have hunch that other one does not want to donate his mast to me. :P That leaves alternatives from abroad on the table. Will you fill me up what would these be like? With regards, Johannes
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

You may perhaps have a local rig manufacturer to build a mast from not damaged remainings (fittings, spreaders etc.) and a raw spar intended for a J24 mast. (The J24 mast is too short, so it has to be just a raw spar of about 10 m of length).

You may also buy a complete IF-boat in bad condition but with an accpetable rig for a low price.

What are the conditions of your boat insurance?
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Johannes

Inlägg av Johannes »

Thank you, Maja, for a promt reply. The boat is insured, so I have some flexibility at my disposal when it comes to prices, I suppose. Yet if J2r4 mast is shorter, does not it mean that I have to change whole sail set for smaller ones, no?

I was told these minutes now that my fellows sailors here in Estonia managed to buy brand new replacement mast bar for Comfort 26 last year, although the boat its out of production already for ages. I wonder if I stand the similar chanche with IF? Insurance covered most of their damage, could it be my case too, no?
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

If you are considering a new mast, just get in contact with a local Selden Mast supplier or agent. They will provide a new mast for you, either they will build it themselves or they will import it from Sweden.

As far as cost coverage is concerned, contact your insurance company about the matter. Conditions differ between companies.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Yara

Inlägg av Yara »

Johannes, it would be interesting to hear how your mast failed. What sails did you have up at the time? Did the rigging fail? Where did the mast actually break? Do not understand what you mean by mast bar. Are you talking about the spreaders, or the pivot pin at the base of the mast?
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

On the marketplace on the web: http://www.ifboat.com/salutorg you will find an IF-boat which is sold in peices (IF-båt säljes i delar).

IF-Båt säljes i delar
Komplett IF säljes i delar, motor saknas.
Namn:Magnus
Telefon: +46704926424

Införd den:2 jun 2014

Maybe the mast (and deck fitting) is still for sale..?..
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Johannes

Inlägg av Johannes »

Thank you, Maja, for the tip, I wrote Magnus a letter. Will keep fingers crossed. Ahoi,Yara, sorry for my English, it is as clumsy as my sailing. Stumbling all the time. I mean mast spar, of course ,the aluminium tube itself. They way I broke it ... standard situation, I guess. I was not sailing exactly under the thunder but on the edge it, at the distance I considered safe. Yet I was hit with one of these gales blowing around thunder. I estimated it up 20m/s. Well, I had max genua and groot up since it was race going on Tallinn bay. The vant(Swedish/Estonian term, sorry) fitting to mast above spreaders let go first and mast itself could not take alone the wind pressure without respective support. And it broke from thevery same place, above spreaders and splashed into the water. Later on we realized - it just bent over considerably and aint straight anymore. Yet it is still in one piece. Just think of it now - maybe it can be fixed? Any experience on the field? With regards and gratitude, Johannes
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

Johannes skrev:The vant(Swedish/Estonian term, sorry) fitting to mast above spreaders
I think "vant" is shroud in english.

I hope you will manage to get a new/used mast or perhaps repair the broken one!
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Skriv svar