Control lines - best way to lead aft?

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

euanb

Control lines - best way to lead aft?

Inlägg av euanb »

At the bottom of the mast I have four turning blocks, none of which are currently used. I want to fit some new sail control lines (the boat has not really been fitted out with sail trim in mind!).

I figure that I need to lead the pole topping lift, pole downhaul, cunningham and outhaul aft. I guess the halyards are best left at the mast as there are no winches on the coachroof anyway. The kicker could also be led aft too.

I already have some cam-cleats. Where is it normal to fit these? In some photos it looks like they are screwed or bolted to the forward end of the hatch garage. Is this normal practice? I cant run to the expense of clutches and turning blocks.

Can anyone post a photo and/or explain how to best fix the cleats to the hatch cover?

Kind regards... we're slowly getting there with the new boat - great to sail, just lots of work to optimise all the sail controls!
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

The best thing is to use the 2 aft going outlets but not the 2 forward going halyard outlets. Provide a stainless steel plate of 2 mm thickness underneath the mast fitting on the cabin roof. Provide a couple of holes along the longitudinal edges of the plate and bend the edges upwards so that the plate suites fine underneath the mast fitting. Make 2 new outlets, one on each side of the mast and at least 0.5 m verical distance in between to let the halyards out. Mount shackles and blocks in the holes of the plate and led the halyards aft.

To provide cleats it is recommended to make a special plate from marine plywood. plexi-glass or similar on the hatch garage.

See http://ks.ownit.nu/IF/if3.htm . The text is in Swedish, but I think you will understand.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
euanb

Thanks

Inlägg av euanb »

Great, that's a help. Havent seen that site before.

Cheers

Euan
Johnhh

Inlägg av Johnhh »

Euan,

There are 7 or 8 IF's moored in the Percuil river at St.Mawes. Why not bring your dinghy over and have a nose around? You will see a variety of ideas. By the way have you considered doing any racing? Apart from club racing we have a 3 day championship in July and then there is an IF class during Falmouth week.

John

Saellan Vaerre
GBR 1483
euanb

Getting there but....

Inlägg av euanb »

Hoping to come and have a nose with my camera so in a couple of weeks.

Boat not raceable at the moment - very little in way of sail controls, spinny kit and no spinny.

Genoa needs recut too as has very unpleasent vertical crease about a foot in from the leech where one of the panels is oversized and the main is too long in the luff to set properly.

Does anyone in the UK have a very xx spinny they can sell me.

Plan is to have boat ready in time for nationals - fingers crossed.

Cheers

Euan
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Getting there but....

Inlägg av maja »

euanb skrev: Does anyone in the UK have a very xx spinny they can sell me.
I have a good tri-radial general purpose spinnaker for sale, SEK 1.000:- (about GBP 80) plus transportation cost. See our marketplace http://www.ifboat.com/salutorg/showadv. ... =sellsails

The spinnaker is manufactured and certified for racing in November 1998. It was used about 4 seasons for racing and thereafter it was being "retired" and only used sporadically when cruising.

If you will buy, you have to live with SWE-829 in the sail or change the national letters and sail number yourself.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Johnhh

Inlägg av Johnhh »

Euan,

I have old Lucas Main and genoa sails which you can have for nothing if you want to collect them. They are not good enough for serious racing (except perhaps in stronger winds) but they are at least the right size. I believe that you can get stick on sail numbers so changing the numbers should be easy enough. If you are interested leave me your email address as a private message and I will let you know my details.

Regards
John
GBR 1483
Johannes

Re: Control lines - best way to lead aft?

Inlägg av Johannes »

Hi everybody, I am Johannes Saar. Bought IF two years ago from Mälar Lake in Sweden, sailed it to Tallinn and realised by now only that this is what I want too - control lines in the cockpit. Yet the photo and text posted in this thread were not enough to my modest mind to comprehend how EXACTLY it was done. Sorry about my inept social skills. Yet the job has to be done. I have Proctor mast from 1975 with the mast step as the one on the photo, two blocks opening to front of mast and other two to aft. Problem being naturally the two opening to front - how to bring them backwards to cockpit. I was thinking myself of buying another mast step, a kind of I have seen at some Selden masts - all 4 blocks opening to aft at the degrees of 45(one pair) and 30 (another pair) respectively. If you could hint where in Sweden or Finland I could buy one second hand for smart price, would be superb. Nevertheless, the manual for dummies on how to work with the existing mast step would be most welcome. I hope knowledgeable people have time to guide me through all this. With regards from Tallinn, Johannes
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Skip the 2 forward blocks. Instead, manufacture a staniless steel plate with bent-up edges and bored holes to be mounted underneath the mast step as shown in http://ks.ownit.nu/IF/iftrim1.jpg and open up 2 halyard outlets in the side wall of the mast spar, i.e. one extra on each side.

See also my previous entry in this thread from 07 maj 2007, 18:16
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Johannes

Inlägg av Johannes »

Right, I apparently missed the "2 halyard outlets on both sides of mast bar"-part. Now it all makes sense. Thank you Maja, I was somehow counting in advance on your expertise. With warmest regards, Johannes
Johannes

Inlägg av Johannes »

One more time, is there a preferred/recommended distance from mast step where the wholes for halyard outlets should be drilled in the mast spar? How high from mast step, somewhere close to groot-boom fitting? The photo unfortunately does not reveal it. Going to drill it through this weekend. With spring regards from Tallin, Johannes
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

It depends where you have tour existing outlets, if any, in the side wall.

If no existing outlets, one above the spinnaker pole fitting , in the starbord side (about 175 cm above deck) and in the port side between the boom fitting and deck (about 30 - 40 cm above deck).

If you have existing outlets in the side wall, keep at least 50 cm distance between outlets, independent of starboard or port side)
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Johannes

Inlägg av Johannes »

Thank you Maja, one more time. No existing outlets on this mast, just two massive knaaps on the sides to tie up spinnaker and groot halyards. I will follow your advise regarding the position of outlets. Yet, if I may still bother :P, one final question. I have testified to 2 kinds o outlets: simple wholes, furnished with bent back edges to save halyard from damaging friction. and ones coming with 2 blocks inside, to smoothen the transit of halyard from inside out. I wonder which one suffices IF. Are the ones with blocks waist of money on this case or still preferable? With warmest regards, Johannes
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

I think the simple ones with bent edges are enough.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Johan SWE-1870 skrev:I think the simple ones with bent edges are enough.
I agree with Johan´s opinion
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar